1. Malta was the first choice for Gamer of Throne (GoT) and the first season was shot there. Locations across Malta and the island of Gozo were used for the series, including scenes filmed at King’s Landing, the Dothraki Wedding Scene and the village of Lhazareen. During filming of the Dothraki wedding it was claimed that the crew failed to clean up the mess, leaving powdered hard stone covering the “fossil-rich” site. Environmental experts said the area was permanently damaged and that filming caused “total elimination of the ecosystem”. “After the experts reported there had been serious damage”, it was decided the show was not going to be allowed to return for future filming.
2. However, Malta’s removal of the crew was Dubrovnik’s gain as initially residents were paid 1000 Euros per day to keep their establishments shut during filming and later paid 100 Euros per window to keep these closed. Numerous extras from Dubrovnik were hired for the filming including babies too. An entire tourist industry centered around GoT mushroomed in the city with dozens of guides taking tours of the numerous shooting locations and a spill-over of this was the GoT paraphernalia being sold and restaurants being patronized throughout Old Town. Further, the fort which had been a hardly visited site previously, is today one of the busiest tourist spots due to its GoT fame.
3.Moving on to the filming – Cersei Lannister (played by Lena Heady) did not film the nude scene for the Walk of Shame. According to our guide there were 3 reasons why this could not happen as Lena was pregnant during this period; she sported tattoos on her body (which were unknown during this age) and her well-toned and muscular body was out of place for those times.
4. Her body double shot the scene for 3 days where she was spat at, abused and humiliated with food and liquids thrown at her. American Actress Rebecca Van Cleave was chosen among more than 1000 applicants and said: “It’s definitely the hardest thing I’ve ever done, but also the best experience of my life … and I hope the next thing I do will have my head in it”, as the scene was shot with Lena’s head and Rebecca’s body.
5.The famous Staircase where the ‘walk of shame’ was filmed has been renamed as Shame Street and serves Shame Hamburgers, and Shame cocktails to the millions of tourists visiting Old Town.
6. During filming when King Joffrey orders the murder of all the ‘bastard offspring’ of the late King Robert Baratheon, the parts of all the children were played by locals from Dubrovnik itself.
7. Further, for all the extras used in GoT hired locally there was a ‘no–tattoo’ mandate as well as a height restriction for the ladies who could not be taller than Kit Harrington who plays Jon Snow, as Kit is only 5’8” and could not be overshadowed by the extras.
8. Some juicy gossip from the sets − Game of Thrones stars Lena Headey (Cercei Lannister) and Jerome Flynn (playing Bron) are never filmed together in the same scenes as they were 'kept apart at all costs' following an 'acrimonious' off-screen romance.
9.After Ned Stark (played by Sean Bean) was beheaded, Sean and members of the cast and crew played football with Ned's head.
10. Some of the stars of GoT had great antecedents – Viserys Targaryen (Daenerys's brother) played by Harry Lloyd is the great-great grandson of Charles Dickens; Robb Stark’s bride, Talisa Maegyr, played by Oona Chaplin, is the granddaughter of Charlie Chaplin and the character of Jojen Reed played by Thomas Brodie-Sangster is Hugh Grant’s cousin.
Photo credits; Banner Left: croatis.com; Banner Center: crostiaweek.com; Banner Right: kevinalsoblogs
1. Malta was the first choice for Gamer of Throne (GoT) and the first season was shot there. Locations across Malta and the island of Gozo were used for the series, including scenes filmed at King’s Landing, the Dothraki Wedding Scene and the village of Lhazareen. During filming of the Dothraki wedding it was claimed that the crew
What to read next